Sunday, February 01, 2009

Halfway There!!!!

Today marks the end of week 9, and thus the halfway point of training! I am sitting in my room, staring at all the crap strewn out on the floor, corners, dresser, bookshelves, closet, drying rack, etc, etc, and grumpy. For whatever reason, have decided to organize my room/life by throwing everything out on the floor. This was a terrible idea. It has now been like this since before New Years - sigh - Yes. New Years. Anyways, worked on it today since about 3 and have made little progress. Have decided to retire to bed since an early day of swimming awaits.


Today was a good day (other than the cleaning). For whatever reason, I decided to run the 15k Xterra Mission Gorge Trail Race (see previous posting from around Feb 7, 2007). Maybe I just like to punish myself, but knowing what I was getting myself into, I signed up again. AJP and I headed out to the course early this morning to avoid the chaos of the closed 52. Made it there plenty early and I quickly looked for the bathrooms as the a.m. coffee had yet to work its magic before we left the house. I was a little irked to see a LONG line at the 4 port-a-pots. That's right - 4. For the entire race - 4. They ended up delaying the race because of the closed 52, but I think it sounds better to blame it on the port-a-pots backup. Literally, but I'll save you from those details.


8:30 rolls around and we line up at the start. It was a little chilly, but sunny and sure to be a beautiful San Diego day. (yes, it is rough to live in Southern California). Finally, at about 8:40, we took off. I started to remember the course and the hell that loomed ahead. AJP was clipping along and soon moved up ahead of me. As he darted around another runner, I thought I heard him chuckle "If she dies, she dies.". That's it. All of the sudden, I was in communist Russia, circa the early 80s. I was running in the middle of winter up a snow-covered peak with the KGB trying to follow close behind. They get ticked off that they can't get through the snow in their shiny black cars - they can't catch me - I'm running and running. Next I'm doing situps with a giant log on my belly. I hear "eye of the tiger" in the background..... In all serious, this year was a better experience than 2007, even though it was quite painful. Probably because I knew what to expect. Made it all 15k and didn't feel too bad!


Well muchachos - it's time for me to go to bed. It's after 10 and the pool awaits tomorrow. Week 10 here I come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home