Monday, December 15, 2008

Bike Fashion - 

I usually avoid the subject - Is there such a thing?  I've withstood the ridicule of my roommate who usually laughs at me as I bike on the trainer in the living room.  Bike attire is just not cool.  I tell people its functional.  But does it really need to look so ridiculous?  I'm not usually up to speed on what is cool, popular, "in", etc.... But I sense how ridiculous I look when I am getting ready to go biking.  

Take yesterday for example.  I'm sporting tights (it was cold in SD) with the lovely padded saddle, making it look like I'm wearing Depends.  I also have the purple jacket (I actually like) with reflectors (for added coolness) overtop of my ugly bike jersey (is it a rule that all jerseys have to use clashing colors?) with the ever-functional back pockets.  Don't get me started on clickety-clack bike shoes, socks - the list goes on.  Add a helmet, dorky glasses, perhaps some arm warmers (mine are baby blue).  Oh, and don't forget the gloves (mine are red, to match my handle bars)...  

It's no wonder people periodically yell at us, point, laugh or wonder what we're doing in public in such attire.  But don't worry - I still think bike clothes are practical - I challenge someone to actually make them cute.  Until then, look for me riding up the PCH in my all of my glorious spandex biking outfits.

1 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger Justin said...

At least your ponytail looks cute. If you could do a side pony in honor of NKOTB with your helmet on, it would be outstanding.

I think it's almost harder for guys. Girls sometimes wear tight clothes when going out, men tend to stay pretty loose (at least I do). The tight road biking clothes make me feel like I am in a sausage casing like Kodi's t-shirt. It's always a challenge to not wear my mountain biking attire on the road. Darn shorts catch on my water bottles!

My all-white outfit makes me feel super fast however. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home