Thursday, January 15, 2009

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on Calvin...Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens (not anymore, that's why I moved to California), Brown paper packages tied up with strings, these are a few of my favorite things...

Yes, those are a few of my favorite things indeed, but what is it about this whole Half IM experience that keeps me going, my favorite things, if you will? Getting up and in the pool by 6 a.m.? Elitest tri snobs bragging about their super duper all carbon tri bike? Not really. Riding my bike in my living room for two hours... Not really that either... For a little change in the norm, I have dedicate this post to a few of my favorite 'training-related' things...

Muscle Milk - mmmm mmmm it's oh so good. From years of my mom's voice echoing in my head urging me to eat enough protein (or else), I can feel oh so good drinking this super duper (protein) shake that tastes like a naughty milkshake, knowing it's packed with the protein I need to help my tired muscles recover! Hell, even if it wasn't good for me, I'd still drink it anyways because it tastes so good and the name is kinda cool too, eh?

My new REI gym bag - After years of carrying multiple bags to the gym, I finally realized that I could utilize one bag to cart around my swim gear, bike gear, running gear, work clothes, towels, etc. to and fro everyday. I picked up a new bag at REI, simply called 'gym bag' and I love it! Once again, proving REI is the best :)

Water - What more can I say? I love you water. You taste so good while I'm running. You taste so good while I'm biking. You taste so good while I'm swimming - oh wait, no you don't. You taste like chlorine then, but I love to shower when I am through in the pool. And I love you just the same! I like to drink you all day long from my pink striped cup that sits on my desk. You give me an excuse to get up several times a day and leave my cube. You provide me my livelihood - I love to design vessels to convey you and plants to treat you, even when you're really dirty and smell... Is this getting wierd???

My Mizuno Wave Creation Running Shoes - I love these shoes. Though they change from time to time (version 3, 4, 5, 6 - what are we on now? 10??), they're still great - so light and cushiony. Too bad they're so dang expensive...

My Lemond Reno - I love this bike. She's fast and white with snazzy red handle bars (though need to re-tape soon)... She's got scuffs, scrapes and bumps, but we've ridden many miles together. Would I trade her in for a super-duper all carbon frame or a silly little tri bike? NO! The Lemond is a touring bike, and that she will stay, even if I choose to dapple in this silly sport called triathlon.

Garmin Forerunner 405 - I love this thing! What doesn't it do? It tells me how far I've gone, how slow I've gone, when I'm almost home, if my heartrate is max'ed out and I'm about to keel over, the list goes on... All from the comfort of my wrist! Aint technology grand?

Biking up the PCH - Whenever I feel sad or blue, All that I will have to do, Is take a ride on up the coast, It's the prettiest yes I will boast!

Eating LOTS of food - My appetite has increased. Even though I seem to eat about 3x the normal caloric intake for an almost 30-something average-sized girl, I'm still dropping the pounds - The doughnut around my waist is slowly deflating, but not to the point of avoiding muffin top all together. Loose waste pants are still a necessity.

Running on the beach - I live only a few blocks from the most perfect place to run - the beach! The sand provides a nice cushiony surface to prevent my knees from crying or my shins from screaming. Did I mention that I get to look at the beautiful Pacific Ocean while I run? It really is amazing and humbles me everytime I go. This is my favorite part of living in San Diego.

I am sure there are many more, but I alas, I must go! Until we meet again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home