Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Swimming in the moonlight - (hummed to an old tune by King Harvest)

Last night was my first moonlight swim. I've been getting up in the mornings to swim, but yesterday morning I wasn't feeling so hot and thus delayed my little brick workout to the evening. Upon completion of my working day I traveled over to the Balboa 24-Hour only to see the parking lot so jammed that cars were backed up waiting to turn in from Balboa. I aborted that mission and went home. I took a nice little nap in snuggly clothing and did my best to procrastinate. Finally at 8 pm realized I had to go and drove back to the gym. I decided to do the run first. It was supposed to be 50-minute run. I walked awhile to start - just couldn't seem to get started.

While I was on the treadmill I watched "The Biggest Loser", which I decided is a terrible show. They have all of these teams of really obese people that go on the show to lose weight together. From what I can gather, last night was the first episode (I'm not a huge fan of TV, much less these types of shows). These teams of two were family members, friends, married, etc. At the end of the show this wench of a host tells them that every team (except for one team which won a stupid challenge earlier), would have to send home one person from their team. Seriously? I mean, these poor people are trying to lose weight. It seems to me, to have to send home your only support network after the first week, would be devastating. I guess it's Hollywood and the need to attract stupid Americans to watch trumps actually caring about these people and trying to help them make healthy choices to improve their lives. Anyways, enough about that -I hate the show and never plan on watching it again. Oh, and I do hope those poor contestants who were sent home were not so traumitized by the show that they were sent into another binge eating downward spiral. If I find myself on the treadmill during a showing of "the Biggest Loser" again, I will move to another TV. I mean, I'd rather watch the Home Shopping Network for an hour. After "wogging" through a very slow 50 minutes on the treadmill, a very red-faced Kate changed to head down to the pool.

Last night's pool workout was 1500m. To some this is easy, but I'm not all that swift in the pool. For awhile I was by myself and this was fine. I went back to my elementary rhyming "one, one is fun, one is fun" and so on. Then Mr. Navy Seal man decided to get in the lane next to mine (in his defense, there are only 3 lanes). Of course Mr. Navy Seal decided to swim 2 laps for my every one. And try as I might, I couldn't keep up. Sometimes, I hate my little competitive streak. Finally he left me alone to finish up my 30 laps and I went back to my elementary rhyming "I like to swim it makes me smile, I think I'll swim another mile". (Hardly).

Oh, and my first product complaint. This year I have been breathing every 3rd stroke (I know you swimmers out there are laughing at me and wondering how the hell I ever swam before - seriously - every other stroke)... Anyways, this began to create some trauma in my right ear, which wasn't used to turning in every couple strokes. AJP picked up some Speedo ear plugs for me at the local sporting goods store. They work great and eliminate my ear problems. So what's my complaint you ask? Well, last night I jumped into the pool to warm up and opened up my suave little Speedo case and in plopped an ear plug into the pool. Do you think I could find that little guy? NO! They are clear and completely disappear upon entrance of the pool. I skimmed the top in case the little guy was floating and scraped my feet along the bottom in hopes of saving him. No luck. Luckily, the Speedo guys give you three. So now I have two. Any more casualties and I'm SOL. So, if you are thinking of picking up any little guys out there for yourself, look for the non-clear variety.

All right - my bag needs to be packed and I need to be sleeping shortly as my friendly alarm clock will be blasting at 5:30. Good night my dears!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home