Sunday, December 07, 2008

PARTE DOS

Well, it's been 2 years since I first started training for my first Half IM.  For a brief moment in time I dappled with the idea of completing a full.  Then decided I was crazy.   Being a huge fan of math, I realized that two halves makes a whole, or full, if you will.  And being that a full has been a long time goal of mine, decided to complete this goal before I turn 30 next year.  EEEK!  30.  30 used to seem so old to me.  Now all my friends are 30 (and I'm not... he he he he he he) - Seriously though, they say that 30's are the new 20's.

SO here I go again - hence the revival of this blog.  I re-join the land of useless blogs to bore those who happen upon my page, with the details of my transformation from stay-puff, almost-30 girl to almost-iron (wo)man.

Rather than making this race purely about self gratification or some sort of plight to overcome past wrong-doings and present woes, this race is for something different.  The prostate.  Yes, that's right.  You might find it odd that someone such as myself (obviously a slight feminist (the whole (wo)man thing should be a big clue)) is completing a race for a male-dominated organ?  I've decided to complete this race for the "Athletes for a Cure" - This is a group that raises money for prostate cancer research and education.  Why prostate cancer?    I mean, in the past I've raised money for breasts, AIDS, leukemia, mentally challenged, hypertension, Special Olympics... the list goes on.... Well, I've learned in the past 2 years that 1 in 6 men get prostate cancer including my dearest Dad.  My Dad has fought off the disease twice now and we're hoping that we don't have to face a 3rd!  He just received a clean bill of health the other week - Go DAD!  And I think that fighting cancer is WAY harder than completing a half Ironman.  SO here I am...

So I'm all signed up for the 2009 California Ironman 70.3 in Oceanside on April 4, 2009.  YEs, this is the same one I did before.  It's a great course, very well-organized, lots of fun, and you can't wimp out in front of all those tough Marines!  I can't wait!  I signed up for the 25-29 W age group because technically, I have 5 days left of being in my 20s on race day.  sigh.  I checked back and my registration bumped me to the 30-34 group!  :(  So I guess I'll have 30 scrawled in Sharpie on my calf... Such is life.  I guess I'll have to train that much harder to keep up with the fast girls.  

So if you are bored at work or are suffering from insomnia, check back here for all of the exciting details!  

1 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger John said...

Hey, don't knock "30" until you've tried it. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home