Sunday, March 01, 2009

Gran Fondo = Gran Divertimento!

It was a beautiful weekend in San Diego - Record highs and lots of sunshine! Today was the first Gran Fondo ride in the United States! I think it was a big success. Over 1,000 cyclists gathered before 7 a.m. in San Diego's Little Italy neighborhood for one of two races - There was the century, complete with over 4,500 feet of climbing, and then there was the 45-miler. We opted for the 45-miler. All of the riders took off at the same time in waves and headed south on Harbor Drive. It was a superb morning complete with sun and perfect temperatures. We headed south towards Chula Vista and tried to avoid some of the "less aware" cyclists (including "steer clear")... Witnessed (or rather just missed) an accident at the railroad tracks. Eventually made it out to the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista. This was cool as I had never been out there. We actually had an aid stop in the training center and got to do a loop through and see all of the facilities - very cool and thought of dear sister Amanda. Looped around and headed back to downtown, finishing up in Little Italy to a victor's fanfare (wanted to raise my arms up Tour style, but refrained due to coordinational issues). The race was really well organized, especially for the first time this event was even held! The riders were (mostly) friendly and the pasta lunch afterwards, was kick-arse. Lots and lots of fun! I would definitely recommend to those around next year!

Yesterday was also a nice day, complete with a 90-minute run on the beach. The sun was stronger than I realized and I ended up a little fried/burned on my arms. Oops! Got to remember to get some sweat proof sunblock. But, guess I can't complain as it's in the teens back in Michigan right now.

This past week (week 13) was the first week of the Speedwork/Quality Phase. The program I used calls for one "quality" workout in each of the events. The run quality work was first on Tuesday night. This involved some 800 m intervals. I actually really enjoyed the workout as it really gives me a chance to push myself (speed) running. Wednesday was the bike quality workout. I did this by jumping up a few rings to increase the resistance for 3-minute intervals. Also fun (was also watching American Idol while biking, which increased my amusement)... Thursday was the swimming quality workout. I forgot what I was supposed to do, but knew the total distance was supposed to be 2300m so I threw in some 50 and 100 m repeats trying to increase my speed during the lap and resting 15 seconds in between. Fun Fun Fun! Now I'm on to week 14 - Can't believe it's week 14 already!!!! Sadly, muffin top remains though general strength and endurance have increased. Such is life!
OFF to bed. Sleep awaits! Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home