Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Week 1 - Day 2.
I survived! After dragging my feet at work and finally realizing I had become totally unproductive at 7 last night, I headed off to the gym. I hadn't ever been to the one on Balboa before, but I went there because it has a pool - I have to say, I was pretty happy when I arrived. Kevin and I spent countless days swimming in the cruddy 24 hour pool at the Bryant St. gym back in SF. Let me tell you - this pool sucks. Reasons why it sucked - let me count the ways - First, there was always a contingency of creepy people sitting on the side of the pool on the steps and in the hot tub - Not swimming, mind you - but staring. Who comes to the gym to sit on the side and stare at flabby people in Speedos - CREEPS. Anyways, other reasons why that pool sucked - It was short, probably about 17 yards or so, maybe less. Basically you swim about 2 feet and you have to turn around. Since you aren't supposed to do flip turns (gives a false boost you won't have in open water swimming), it feels like you're always stopping. To top off why I hate that pool - It's just plain dirty - Often I would see nasty hair balls and such floating through the water with the elegance and grace of a jelly fish - NASTY. Yuck. I tried to swim in the Stanford pool whenever I had the chance, which was at least once per week. I was spoiled. The Stanford pool - pristine - huge - 50m - outside and always a perfect temperature. Loved swimming there.

Anyways, back to the new pool - Outside! A plus. I guess that is a perk of living in SoCal. Much longer - probably about 25 yards? And cleaner too. This pool was also not very busy, although it was about 9 by the time I got in...

So now that I have critiqued the pools - Here is what I accomplished last night - My first IM workout :-)

Run (on treadmill) blahhhhh - 40 minutes - Made it a little over 4 miles as I was running snail pace.
Swim - 1000 yards - 20 laps (40 lengths).

Had a lot of fun despite my complaining. Got home, made some black beans and rice and fell asleep watching my new Foo Fighters DVD - I love the Foos :-)

All right - gotta run. Work awaits. I am sure you are all enthralled to read about tonight's bike workout tomorrow! Hurrah!!

Made it home at 10 or so -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home